There is just something about the combination of both turmeric and ginger that brings the cozy and what better cozy is there than a soup? That’s right folks. It’s soup season. I might be a bit early on this one but when you are a girl from South Florida hangin’ in Maine, the cold comes early. ‘Tis time…
And if you’re looking to boost your immune system as we head into some cooler weather, well grab a bowl cause this soup is basically a nutrition bomb. It’s rich in antioxidants like carotenoids and curcumin helping to reduce inflammation and keep you feeling good. Did I mention the lemon juice and pomegranate drizzle? Yeah… you’re just gonna have to take my word for it. You need this soup in your life!
- 2 tbsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups squash ( I roasted a Jarradale Squash whole and scooped out 3 cups.)
- 3 to 4 cups of broth or enough for desired consistancy.
- 1 lemon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp pomegranate reduction
- In a large pot, dry toast the powdered spices till slightly fragrant.
- Add the butter and oil and mix with the spices.
- Then add the chopped onion, garlic and fresh ginger and saute in the spices for a few minutes.
- Next, add a small amount of broth to deglaze the botton of the pot, then add the squash.
- Add more broth to cover the squash and let simmer till thouroughly cooked.
- Carefully use an immersion blender and puree soup addind more broth if necessary.
- Squeeze the lemon into the soup and stir. (I used a whole lemon.)
- Serve into bowls and add 1/8 cup of coconut milk to each bowl.
- Drizzle the pomagranate sauce if using and add salt and pepper to taste.