Get your festive on with this healthy Halloween salad made with black rice and blood oranges and a few other ingredients that keep to the holiday theme. While the kids (and seniors) might be game for a full night of candy, us caregiver need that nourishment to survive a night of horrors. Eat this salad, then hit the candy and feel a little better about your life choices come morning.
- Cooked black rice
- Chopped purple kale
- Cooked then chopped red beets (small chop)
- Some black olives, sliced
- Crumbled Goat Cheese
- Blood Orange segmented (Click here for a how-to)
- Vinegar based dressing
- Rub some oil into the kale leaves and roast in the oven if you want it crispy (I'm a fan personally but this step is not necessary).
- In a bowl, mix the kale and rice together in your desired proportions.
- Place a serving of the rice mix on a plate.
- Top with your beets and black olives.
- Sprinkle on some goat cheese
- Add the blood orange segments
- Top with a little parsly and the vinegar basad dressing of your choice.
Sorry for the lack of specific measurements on this recipe but you know… salads ain’t rocket science and Halloween is a holiday that’s supposed to be scary. Take a risk yo! And enjoy the blood bath. Beets never disappoint when it comes to a good spook. They’re always good for a nice stain of the hands and a brief scare in the bathroom if you know what I mean…;)
And if you’d like an additional fright, you can enjoy these photos of my dad and I last year on Halloween. As for what we dressed as, I referred to our costumes merely as “dressed-up” but as soon as we hit the streets folks kept referencing my dad as William H. Macy’s character, Frank Gallagher from the show Shameless! Hey… Why not right?
This year we have something more specific up our costumes sleeves assuming I can get Bob in costume. I won’t reveal those details just yet. You’ll have to wait till Halloween, but if all goes well, it will be out of this world! Hehehehehe…;)