With Spring holidays approaching here's a simple recipe you can create with some left-overs. This ham and cheese strata is pretty basic. Nothing fancy. These items just happen to be the things our house tends to have on hand after Easter dinner. You can substitute other ingredients too. Peppers, onions and other watery-type vegetables are best sauteed first so they release their moisture prior to baking but for the most part feel free to use whatever.
- Left over biscuits or bread
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl and add your biscuit/bread and give it a good coat.
- Let it sit in the fridge overnight soaking up the egg mixture.
- The next morning add the ham and cheese to the bowl and thoroughly coat it. (At this stage you can almost add whatever you want. Onions, peppers and cooked potatoes make great additions.)
- Pour out into a buttered, oven safe baking dish.
- If the mix appears dry, with no excess egg mixture add more, whipping another egg or two with a splash of milk. Pour that over the top of your strata mix where it will pool at the edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 or so minutes until the strata puffs slightly and the center is cooked through.
Happy Spring everyone!