First you have to set the mood with this sound track I provided for you below. I suggest cracking a window and letting a fresh breeze roll in. It's officially spring and we're all probably long over due for a deep breath and an even longer exhale.
Ok, now you can dive into this recipe...
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3 shallots chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces, reserving 1 stalk for garnishing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp toasted walnuts, chopped
- croutons (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a heavy pot melt the butter.
- Saute the shallots with the thyme until they soften and begin to brown.
- Add the stock a little at a time, and mix it well.
- Then add the asparagus and bring the pot to low simmer.
- When the pot starts to simmer add the lemon juice (This will help retain the bright green color of the asparagus as it cooks).
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or so until the asparagus have softened and then blend with an emersion blender (or carefully in a blender after its cooled) until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish with croutons, walnuts, asparagus, etc. You have creative license here!
My dad pretty much runs the show around here and I'm getting quite the education on all forms of classic entertainment. Dean Martin has risen to the top! Mr. Martin and some good ol' Andy Griffith... Two guys I had no idea were after my own heart!