A full day of cooking means there is little time to accommodate the hunger needs of others so it is best to prepare a festive dish in advance to tide folks over. This butternut squash soups is a bowl of comfort with a hint of holiday spirit that we are keeping warm in the crock pot to help keep mouths fed and bodies out of the kitchen. Toppings are on the side so everyone can add their own, keeping things fresh when hunger strikes. It is loaded with healthy ingredients so you can rest assured that nutrition has a starring role before the pies roll out a little later. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
1 tbsp oil
1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups total)
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 tbsp of fresh ginger
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 2/3 cups of broth (chicken or veggie)
1/2 can of unsweetened coconut milk
2 tbsp of plain yogurt
splash of half and half
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
some chopped cashews for topping
- Saute the onion in a pot with the oil over medium heat until soft
- Add the garlic and fresh ginger and cook for another minute or so
- Add the turmeric and the curry powder and mix well
- As the spices start to stick to the bottom, add a little broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot bringing up all those caramelized bits which will enrich the final flavor of the soup.
- After deglazing you can add in the rest of the broth and the squash
- Bring it up to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 10 or 15 minutes uncovered until the squash is tender
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly and mix in the coconut milk. (If you have an immersion blender use that to puree the soup. If using a regular blender puree in batches but really allow the soup to cool).
- When the soup is smooth, warm it back up, but be careful not to boil it because the coconut milk can curdle. Ladle into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt and a little cream or left over coconut milk and make a thin finishing sauce. Stir a spoonful into you soup and top with fresh cilantro and cashews.